Sunday, January 3, 2010

Let the reading begin!

I hope you have already downloaded the reading schedule, and maybe have even read the suggested chapters for today. If not, please download the Between the Covers Schedule and join us as we begin reading TODAY!!!

With our first meeting approaching THIS Sunday, January 10, "Between the Covers" will continue to meet the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month from 12:30 – 2 p.m. in the Congregational Life Center Chapel. Attendance to all class meetings is not required, but is highly recommended. Participants can order an inexpensive lunch through the receptionist in the church office at 214-351-1901 or via email to Dan Yeley. All lunch orders must be submitted by the Thursday prior to each class meeting. Personal lunches may also be brought by participants.

The schedule outlines suggested passages for each day of the week. When we gather on the 2nd and 4th Sunday we will cover the recommended texts during the designated period of time, which is signified on the schedule. To share in this experience between group meetings, please visit this blog often. I am making a personal commitment to blog about each day’s recommended reading, and I hope that you will join me by commenting and adding your own ideas and views.

Each class will provide an overview of the recommended reading, a chance to ask questions about difficult passages, and an in-depth exploration of themes or topics addressed in the recommended reading. Facilitators will include members of our very own church family, as well as professors at local seminaries. Our goal is to have a diverse group of voices throughout the experience. If you feel called to lead a group meeting on a certain set of texts, please let me know.

During our first meeting we will discuss the "best" ways to read the text, the history of how the text has been read throughout history and other important tips to make your reading enjoyable and eye-opening.

Happy reading!

Beau Heyen
Minister for Youth & Spiritual Formation

Cathedral of Hope, a congregation of the United Church of Christ

4 comments:

  1. I like this idea. I'll do my best even while finishing my D.Min. to stay engaged in this each day. It should be fun and formative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to start! Wish I could make the Sunday meetings - but, will keep up online as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Started reading yesterday! I'm excited!! I'm going today to get a study Bible so that I can make notes and highlight and such without destroying my nice Bible (not that all Bibles aren't "nice"....but you know what I mean)... Praying for your safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you the very best in this new and fascinating study on the Bible. I will certainly follow you through your blog. God Bless. Hector

    ReplyDelete